Your current list of menu items resides in the right hand column on the menu screen. If there are multiple menus on your site, there will be a dropdown list displayed at the top of the page that enables you to select the menu that you would like to edit. Simply select the menu you would like to edit from the Select a menu to edit dropdown list and then click the Select button. The menu items for your selected menu will then be displayed.
The items in this right-hand column on the Menus page will match the menu items that appear on your website. Clicking on the down arrow next to each menu item name will show an options panel for that particular menu item. In this options panel, there are several items that can be updated/changed. You can show or hide extra fields such as Link Target, CSS Classes, Link Relationship (XFN) or Description using the Screen Options tab at the very top-right of the screen.
- URL – Only displayed for Custom Links and will contain the URL to navigate to when that menu item is clicked
- Navigation Label – This is the label that will display within the actual menu on your website
- Title Attribute – This is the tooltip that appears when the mouse cursor hovers over the menu item
- Open link in a new window/tab – (Hidden by default) You can set the menu item to open in the same window or tab (which is the default) or in a new window or tab. This option is made visible by ticking the Link Target option on the Screen Options panel
- CSS Classes – (Hidden by default) Optional CSS Classes to add to this menu item. This option is made visible by ticking the CSS Classes option on the Screen Options panel
- Link Relationship (XFN) – (Hidden by default) Allows for the generation of XFN attributes so you can show how you are related to the authors/owners of site to which you are linking. This option is made visible by ticking the Link Relationship (XFN) option on the Screen Options panel
- Description – (Hidden by default) The description for the link. This may or may not appear, depending on the theme. This option is made visible by ticking the Description option on the Screen Options panel
Each menu item can be moved to a new location in the menu hierarchy by using either the links underneath the Navigation Label input field or by clicking on the title area of the menu item and dragging ‘n dropping the menu to new location. If you choose to drag ‘n drop your menu items, the cursor will turn into a four-pointed arrow when you’re hovering over the correct area.
After making updates to your menu items, click the Save Menu button at the top or bottom of the screen.
Deleting a Menu Item
To delete a menu item click on the down arrow next to the menu item name to view the options panel for that item and then click the Remove link. After making your updates, click the Save Menu button at the top or bottom of the screen.